Italian sausage and spinach casserole
- 3/4 pound fresh Italian sausage links 2 10 ounce packages fresh spinach, cooked and well drained or two 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
In a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat until no pink remains (about 8 minutes), turnig often. Drain on paper towels. Slice into bite size pieces. In a large mixing bowl combine cooked sausage, spinach, beans, onion, milk, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, lemon peel, lemon juice, nutmeg, and pepper. Transfer mixture to a greased 2 quart oval or square baking dish. For topping, in a small mixing bowl combine bread crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, garlic and melted butter; sprinkle atop casserole. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degrees F for 35 minutes or until heated through.