Pasta salad with fish
The best anchovies are whole anchovies preserved in salt from delicatessens. They give the best flavour, but if you can’t get these use tinned, filleted anchovies in oil. Drain before using.
- 10 anchovy fillets, salted or in oil
- 300 g (11 oz) dried farfalle or conchiglie
- 200 g (7 oz) squid, cleaned and cut into strips
- 6 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100 g (4 oz) smoked salmon, cut into strips
- 200 g (7 oz) small coked and peeled prawns, thawed if frozen
- 3 tbsp finely snipped chives
- 3 tbsp finely chopped dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
If using salted anchovies, soak in water for 30 minutes. Dry on kitchen paper and remove any large bones, then cut the fillets into pieces. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 7 minutes or until slightly softer than al dente, then drain well and leave to cool. Cook the squid in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, drain and leave to cool. In a bowl, mix together the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the cooked squid, anchovies, smoked salmon, prawns, chives and dill and mix well. Add the pasta, stir well and taste again for seasoning. Serve cold.