- 1 1/2 pounds fettuccine pasta
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 3 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup or more pasta water reserved
- Large shred of Parmesan for garnish
- Fresh chopped or dried parsley for garnish
Cook the pasta according to the package directions, reserving some of the pasta water. Transfer pasta to a large bowl and set aside. Place the butter in a large skillet and smash with the back of a spoon. Add 3/4 cup of warm pasta water and turn heat to low. Cook for 2 minutes. Toss the sauce with the grated cheese and pasta for 2 minutes, until coated. If necessary, add a little more pasta water to achieve the desired consistency for the sauce. Garnish with shreds of Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.