There are many ways to make a tomato sauce. This is a very basic and quick version, but it makes an excellent standby when hunger beats the clock!
- 25 g (1 oz) butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1×400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the butter or oil in a pan and fry the onion until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the basil, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
Add the above ingredients when frying the onion and continue as before.