This is my recipe for herb sauce. Please try it and very it according to your taste, increasing one or other of the herbs, on taking away one altogether. The important thing is that you cook it to your taste. Like pesto, it can be used for a variety of savory pasta dishes.
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g (4 oz) butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 25 g (1 oz) pine kernels
- 8 tbsp very finely chopped mixed herbs (chervil, parsley, chives, basil, mint, sage, rosemary and fennel leaves)
- 2 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- Grated zest 1/2 lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
Fry the onion gently in the oil and half the butter until soft without coloring. Add the garlic and pine kemels and fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the herbs, stock, lime zest, the remaining butter and season to taste and serve. Be quick as it is vital you do not cook the herbs but just warm them up.