Stuffed mushrooms with pancetta
Serve these mushrooms warm or at room temperature as an appetizer, or as an accompaniment for roast chicken or steak. Gluten free bread crumbs absorb the flavorful juices and contribute to a satisfying texture.
Serves: 4 as an appetizer or side dish
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 12 medium white mushrooms, about 3/4 pound
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pancetta or unsmoked bacon (salt pork)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 once (about 1/4 cup) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an 8×10 inch shallow baking dish lightly with olive oil. Wipe the mushroom with a damp paper towel. Remove and chop the stalks. Arrange the mushrooms caps in the baking dish, hollow side up. Warm the olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic, chopped mushroom stalks, and pancetta. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the parsley, bread crumbs, and Parmesan. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and spoon it into the mushroom caps. Don’t worry if some crumbs fall into the dish. Spray the mushrooms lightly with olive oil. Bake until tender and lightly browned on top, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.